Politics and policies of the European Union
С открытой датой
Описание мероприятияЯзык обучения: английский
This course focuses on the political system of the European Union (institutions and decision making processes) and its key policy areas.
The detailed aims of the course are to:
- provide an introduction to the analytical parameters which shape the processes of European integration
- familiarise students with key events and major treaty developments relating to the EU
- provide analytical tools and guidelines on how to judge the future of the European project
- analyse internal EU policies and their impact on European, but also non European societies
- focus on the external dimension of EU and its impact on the outside world
- identify potential avenues for the future course of European integration.
This course is assessed by a three-hour unseen written examination.
Part one: Introduction
1. Parameters of EU integration
2. Competing theories
Part two: The political system of the EU
3. The institutions of the EU (the councils, the commission, the parliament, the courts)
4. Policy-making and implementation
Part three: Internal policies and their impact on EU and the outside world
5. Single market and competition
6. Regional policy and cohesion
7. Common Agricultural Policy
8. Economic and Monetary Union
9. Justice and home affairs
Part four: The External Dimension of the EU
11. Common foreign and security policy
12. Trade and the common commercial policy
Part five: Conclusion
13. The Future of EU integration. Deepening, widening or consolidating?
At the end of this course and having completed the essential reading students should be able to:
- demonstrate a thorough understanding of the European Union, its institutional processes and policies and their impact on European, as well as non European states and citizens
- demonstrate an understanding of the main political processes of the EU
- assess the present and future processes of European Integration in light of the main theories, models and concepts used in the EU studies
- demonstrate a critical understanding of the EU’s key policies and their impact on the outside world
Требования к поступающим:
If taken as part of a BSc degree, courses which must be passed before this course may be attempted:
- PS1172 Introduction to political science or
- PS1114 Democratic politics and the State.